Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Questions Answered

Today I thought I'd take a second to answer some of the most common questions I tend to get when people hear about my adoption plans. If there's a question you have, that I don't answer, feel free to post it in the comments area and I'll answer it for you. :)

What age are you hoping for?
In my paperwork I have specified that, at the time of referral, I would like my child to be between 1-3 years old. With that in mind, by the time I bring my child home the age would be closer to 2-4 years old. The short answer? My child will be a toddler.

Are you adopting a boy or a girl?
I am open to either gender. When I talk about my adoption you'll hear me switching between the pronouns (unconsciously) because I don't like to say "it."

Why did you choose Ethiopia?
One of my friends was nearby when someone asked me this and she said, "She didn't pick Ethiopia, Ethiopia picked her." Since that's how it happened, that's how I respond. I can honestly say that Ethiopia picked me - through prayers, signs, and scripture. I explored all the options available to me and signs kept pointing me back to International Adoption, and Ethiopia.

How far are you?
I feel like I'm nearing the end of my portion of the process. I am compiling paperwork that will be translated to Amharic and sent to Ethiopia. From there, I wait for my referral - which could be up to two years. During that time (and now) I will be participating in education sessions and reading books that are geared toward adoptive parents.

Do you have to travel to get your child?
Yes. Actually, I get to travel to Ethiopia twice. Each trip lasts close to a week. From what I understand, the first trip is for our court date. Then, the second trip is an embassy date and the time I get to bring my child home. The time between those trips is probably going to be the longest time of my life since I will have seen him/her and won't be able to bring him/her home until a few months later.

Why is this child not staying with their family?
I won't know that answer until I get my specific referral, if ever.

How does your family feel about your decision?
My immediate family is extremely happy about the future and my decision. In addition, all of the extended family I've talked with are happy and supportive.

That's all I can think of. Again, if you have a question you can leave it as a comment. If you don't feel comfortable about the world seeing it, feel free to email me.

Thanks for stopping by and continuing to follow my journey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment